Saturday, July 24, 2010

'Tis a gift to be simple

I am taking a week off from interpreting to try my hand at something completely different: cooking for Peace Camp! Five days, five lunches, 25 people. I can do it, with the help of my 14 year-old sous chef! This is gonna be fun!

When I planned my menu, I had two things in mind: balance and simplicity. That means, no processed ingredients, and everything made from scratch (except for mayonnaise, the making of which requires patience, skill and a wicked stirring arm!) If these kids are like most Americans, a majority of their food is processed with sugar, fat and salt, and rarely eaten as a true family-style meal. So for my part of Peace Camp, I can provide them with good, home-cooked food while they learn about how to solve conflicts without violence and how to value themselves as the briliiant creations that they are!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment