Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Extraordinary Gift of Kindness

Someone told me once that a remedy for depression is to step outside my own worries and help someone else with theirs. This weekend, I got to test that theory, and I would say it definitely has merit.

A friend recently came home from the hospital, but while she was in, she needed help getting her house cleaned and organized when she got home. Since she has been ill for almost a year, the job was a bit daunting. Still, we got it done. When I brought her home last night, she was overjoyed and overwhelmed to find her living space clean and everything set up so that she could access what she needed easily.

While she was overwhelmed that a few of her friends were willing to give up their weekends to help her, I was overwhelmed by a feeling of frustration because such an act is considered extraordinary in our society. Isn't helping a person in need, friend or not, a basic act of kindness that civilized society should consider the norm? And more personally, what if I were in a situation where I needed that kind of help...wait...I HAVE been in that position, and very recently!

This weekend I got a gift, too - I got to see God at work through the hearts and hands of a group of friends. A simple gift of kindness.


In loving memory of Muffin (1987 -2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment