Sunday, April 25, 2010

Empty

My house is on the market. It may sell, it may not. What hit me yesterday, though, was how empty the house was now that it had been cleared of all the furniture, junk and decorations. On the one hand, my footsteps on the wood floors echoing throughout conjured sadness, like the house was grieving the loss of the life within it. At the same time, this empty house is free to accept a whole new life, with it's own trappings and a chance to make new memories within this space.

While I have left the house, I am moving into a new, now empty space. Like my house, this room in the house of a close friend, has very recently been emptied, swept clean of memories of the girl who grew up there. I know it was hard for her mother to empty that room for the same reason that emptying my house was hard. It is closing the door on the past and making way for the future. It is change, and that is difficult, even under ideal circumstances. Still, the empty room brings promise of new memories and new life as well. I pray that I might add only happy memories to that space, and that it offers a new life for me.

My life right now seems to be enduring the same changes as the living spaces I have and will occupy. I am emptying my heart and head of old junk, old tapes, old heartbreaks and hurts. Once that emptying process is complete, I must find new things to occupy the empty spaces left behind. I am hopeful that, this time, I will fill my life with beautiful, peaceful and meaningful things.

1 comment: